LITHERLAND WAR MEMORIAL
SEFTON ROAD

Photograph © Ronnie Cusworth 1998
Taken with SLR - Pre digi camera days

DESCRIPTION


Designer
: J. W. Bowden, | Sculptor: J. W. Bowden


Material
: White Derbyshire Stone

Reproduction cenotaph in stone on a small stone base. All four faces carry inscriptions; on the front is a general inscription, whilst the other three carry the roll of honour. Capital and pedestal with ornamental carving.

Inscription:

Front face: ERECTED / To the / Glory of God / and in Honoured / Memory of / the Men of / LITHERLAND / who made the / Supreme Sacrifice / for GOD, KING / and COUNTRY / in the / GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1919 / PRO PATRIA / Their Name Liveth Evermore

Bronze plaque at base, front face: IN THE MEMORY OF ALL LITHERLAND MEN AND WOMEN / WHO DIED IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY / IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1939 TO 1945 AND IN SUBSEQUENT HOSTILITIES


T
he memorial, which Litherland erected in 1924 was extremely modest in comparison to the grandiose schemes originally considered. The first traced reference is in 1917, by which time the question of a memorial was already being considered. The issue was again raised in November 1918 and it was resolved that the council should look into the matter. Action was delayed since a Mr. Appleton, who appears to have been the main force behind the raising of the issue, was called to the United States, but the Council's December monthly meeting resolved to consider the matter immediately. At the end of January 1919 the War Memorial Committee proposed the construction of the Litherland War Heroes Hall on the corner of Bridge Street and Linacre Road, with W. H. Elce appointed as the Hon. Surveyor. Shortly afterwards a public meeting was held to put forward further ideas on the form of the memorial. Suggestions included a victory hall and a complex comprising of a hall, library, newsroom and swimming baths. The War Memorial Committee was asked to reconsider in the light of suggestions, although the idea of a hall appears to have met with general approval. No further minute references to the proposed victory hall scheme or the realised cenotaph monument have been found. The Crosby Herald reported the unveiling of the latter monument by Viscount Molyneaux on the 16th March 1924 at 3 p.m. It can only be assumed that there were insufficient funds for a major construction scheme and that attempts to secure funds and the eventual need to choose a more practical project delayed the erection of any monument until 1924.



Litherland & Ford Digital © Ronnie Cusworth 2002-2007