LITHERLAND AT WAR
1914-1918

LINACRE ROAD

The photograph taken during the war, shows the block of shops between Hinton and Bowden Streets, the entrance to Bryant & May's Match Works on the right and Linacre Mission Hall.

Note the four domed tower structures atop the mission building, which are no longer there. A tram in the distance is passing Towcester Street and what could be a military vehicle (Leyland lorry) has passed Longfield Road on the right. The soldiers chatting to the shop-girl will most probably have been from Litherland Army Camp or from the military guard at the match-works opposite.
 

Litherland & Ford Digital © Ronnie Cusworth 2002-2008