The Catherine Hotel 1888/89

The viewpoint of the painter 'Holden' is roughly in the area of Lily Road with Linacre Road sited behind the hedgerow and Catherine Terrace visible to the extreme right. The original arched railway bridge is shown, and artistic licence is taken with the inclusion of St Philip's Church spire. The two houses shown were numbered 39, 41 - the Catherine Hotel was number 43. With the expansion of Linacre Road; the three properties were renumbered 79, 81, and 83. The 1891 Census shows George Bailey Hewitson as licensee of the Catherine Hotel, with William Gillet living at 41 and Richard Davies at 39.
>>>Click on the image to see detail of the area 1889/91<<<