The entry for Litherland starts at page 660
and then continues on the bottom of page 666.
Orrell & Ford can be found at page 661
In 1854, Seaforth and Waterloo
were part of the township of Litherland, hence the entries in
the Litherland Directory below. With the re-organisation of local
government in 1894, the Urban District of Waterloo-with-Seaforth
came into existence.
An interesting entry for Ford, shows there to have been a brewery
situated there at one time, run by William Knowles. The Knowles
family were farmers, property and landowners in the district and
the 1901 census shows a Knowles family member to be living in
Ford House, built in the locally known 'Bluebell Woods'. The Tailor's
Arms, the Litherland Hotel and the Red Lion are all listed too.
The farmer Joseph Holmes of Sandy Lane, Seaforth listed in the
directory is most probably the inspiration for the name 'Holmes
Lane' off Bridge Road, which was usual to name new roads after
the farm/farmer that the road ran through.