COUNTY PALATINE OF LANCASTER
R. Cusworth 2004
ARMS OF LANCASTER
R. Cusworth 2004
LANCASHIRE COAT OF ARMS
R. Cusworth 2004
CORPORATE SEAL OF LANCASTER
 
LANCASHIRE TOWNSHIPS & CHAPELRIES 1831
Extracted from the Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 

PARISH OF SEPHTON
 
SEPHTON, a parish in the hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, comprising the chapelry of Great Crosby, and the townships of Aintree, Little Crosby, Ince-Blundell, Litherland, Lunt, Netherton, Orrell with Ford, Sephton, and Thornton, and containing 3433 inhabitants, of which number, 389 are in the township of Sephton, 7 miles (N.) from Liverpool. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £30.1.8, and in the patronage of the Rev. R.R. Rothwell. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, was rebuilt in the reign of Henry VIII, by the Rev. Anthony Molyneaux, a distinguished preacher, then rector: it is principally in the later style of English architecture, with a lofty spire; the interior is remarkably elegant, the chancel in particular, which is separated from the nave by a magnificent screen, and contains sixteen richly-sculptured stalls, with numerous monuments of the family of Molyneaux, of whom Sir William fought and performed signal acts of valour under the banner of the Black Prince, at Navaret, as did Sir Richard in the battle of Agincourt, and another Sir William in that of Flodden Field. This place confers the title of earl on their descendants.
 
CROSBY (GREAT), a chapelry in the parish of SEPHTON, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool, containing 674 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in .the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £ 1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rector of Sephton. The chapel was rebuilt in 1774.The village is in a very thriving state, from being much resorted to for sea-bathing. A grammar school was founded, in 1618, by John Harrison, a native of this place, citizen and merchant of London, with an endowment of £50 a year for a master and an usher, besides £8 for repairs: the school-house is a good building of freestone, and the school is under the direction of the Merchant Taylor's Company in London: there is also a charity school for boys and girls, founded under the will of Catherine Halsall, with an endowment of £18 per annum.
 
AINTREE, a township in the parish of SEPHTON, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 6 miles (N.N.E.) from Liverpool, containing 260 inhabitants.
 
CROSBY (LITTLE), a township in the parish of SEPHTON, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 7¾ miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool, containing 359 inhabitants. At Harkirk, in this township, a number of Saxon and other ancient coins was discovered in 1611.
 
INCE-BLUNDELL, a township in the parish of SEPHTON, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 85 miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool, containing 472 inhabitants. Attached to Ince hall, the family seat of the Blundells, is a building called "The Pantheon," erected by the late Henry Blundell, Esq., precisely similar in its architecture and proportions to the Pantheon at Rome, but one third less: it contains a splendid collection of paintings, statuary, sarcophagi, urns, and other relics of antiquity, procured by the founder, and said to be unequalled by any similar collection in the kingdom. Henry Blundell, Esq., in 1808, gave a rent-charge of £10 for teaching ten children.
 
LITHERLAND, a township in the parish of SEPHTON, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 4¾ miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool, containing 501 inhabitants.
 
LUNT, a township in the parish of SEPHTON, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 7½ miles (N.) from Liverpool, containing 75 inhabitants.
 
NETHERTON, a township in the parish of SEPHTON, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 6½ miles (N. by E.) from Liverpool, containing 186 inhabitants.
 
ORRELL, a joint township with Ford, in the parish of SEPHTON, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 4½ miles (N.) from Liverpool, containing, with Ford, 217 inhabitants.
 
FORD, a joint township with Orrell, in the parish of SEPHTON, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 5½ miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool, containing 217 inhabitants.
 
THORNTON, a township in the parish of SEPHTON, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 6½ miles (N.) from Liverpool, containing 300 inhabitants.

PARISH of WALTON on the HILL
 
WALTON on the HILL, a parish in the hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, comprising the chapelries of Everton, Formby, Kirkby, and West Derby, and the townships of Bootle with Linacre, Eazakerley, Kirkdale, Simonswood, and Walton on the
Hill, and containing 14,245 inhabitants, of which number;1171 are in the township of Walton on the Hill, 2¾ miles (N. by B.) from Liverpool. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £69,16.10, and in the patronage of J.S. Leigh, Esq.: the vicarage is separately rated at £6.13.4.,and in the patronage of the Rector .The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is partly in the decorated style of English architecture. Up to 1698 it was the mother church of Liverpool, and the present church of St. Nicholas there was a chapel of ease under, the Vicar of Walton. The church of St. James, in Toxteth Park, is dependent on. Walton. In consequence of its proximity to Liverpool, this place has greatly advanced in population, and has become the residence of numerous merchants, retired tradesmen etc. The house of correction for the county is at Kirkdale, in this parish.
 
EVERTON, a chapelry in the parish of WALTON on the HILL, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 1 mile (N.N.E.)from Liverpool, containing 2109 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, and in the patronage of the Rector of Walton. The chapel was consecrated in 1814.This is a neat and agreeable village, situated on a bold eminence, opposite to the bay of Bootle: its proximity to Liverpool, and the salubrity of the air, have rendered it the residence of several genteel families. A new church, dedicated to St.George, has lately been erected. Here was an ancient beacon, supposed to have been erected in 1220, by Ranulph de Blundeville, Earl of Chester, which was blown down in 1803.
 
FORMBY, a chapelry in the parish of WALTON on the HILL, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER,8|miles (W.) from Ormskirk, containing 1257 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rector of Walton. The chapel is dedicated to St. Peter. There are two free schools for the education of children, one situated near the Cross, called the Higher or Upper school, and the other at the north end of Formby, near Ainsdale, the income of both being about £34 per annum, the bequest of Richard Marsh, in 1703:upwards of one hundred children are instructed. The township had anciently a chartered market, which has fallen into disuse
 
KIRKBY, a chapelry in the parish of WALTON on the HILL, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 5¾ miles (N.W.) from Prescot, containing 1035 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rector of Walton. The church is dedicated to St. Chad. A school has been erected here by Lord Sefton, the master receiving £8 a year, the produce of an ancient bequest. There is also a bequest from Thomas Aspe, in 1698,for apprenticing poor children.
 
BOOTLE, a chapelry in the parish of WALTON on the HILL, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 3¼ miles (N.) from Liverpool, containing, with the township of Linacre, 808 inhabitants. The village comprises several good houses, and is very much resorted to during summer, for the benefit, of sea-bathing.
 
LINACRE, a township in the parish of WALTON on the HILL, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 3¾ miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool. The population is returned with the chapelry of Bootle.
 
FAZAKERLEY, a township in the parish of WALTON on the HILL, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER,4i miles (N.E.)from Liverpool, containing 418 inhabitants. There is a small schoolhouse with a trifling endowment in land, the gift of Samuel Turner, in 1725.
 
KIRKDALE, a township in the parish of WALTON on the HILL, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 1½ mile (N. by E.) from Liverpool, containing 1273 inhabitants. The petty sessions for the Kirkdale division of the hundred of West Derby are held here.
 
SIMONSWOOD, a township in the parish of WALTON on the HILL, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 5 miles (S. by E.) from Ormskirk, containing 390 inhabitants.

OTHER MERSEYSIDE TOWNSHIPS & CHAPELRIES OF 1831
 
ALTCAR, a parish in the hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 7 miles (W. by S.) from Ormskirk, containing 499 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £ 1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Earl of Sefton. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The small river Alt runs through the parish. Here is a school, with a small endowment by the Earl of Sefton
 
AUGHTON, a chapelry in the parish of HALTON, hundred of LONSDALE, south of the sands, county palatine of LANCASTER, containing 199 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rector of Halton. The chapel is dedicated to St. George.
 
BIRKDALE, a township in the parish of ORMSKIRK, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 7½ miles (N.W.) from Ormskirk, containing 414 inhabitants.
 
CROXTETH-PARK, an extra-parochial liberty, in the hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 4 miles (W.N.W.) from Prescot, containing 30 inhabitants.
 
KNOWSLEY, a township in the parish of HUYTON, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 3¼ miles (N.W.) from Prescot, containing 74 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Unitarians.
 
LYDIATE, a chapelry in the parish of HALSALL, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 4½ miles (S.W. by W.) from Ormskirk, containing 601 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Roman Catholics. In 1763, Philip Buckley conveyed to trustees a *messuage and ground for a school-house: the master teaches four children for £ 4 per annum, received from Walker's charity. Mr. Gore, in 1825, bequeathed estates worth £90 per annum for the benefit of the poor. Within the chapelry are the ruins of an unfinished abbey.

* MESSUAGE: a dwelling-house with lands and outbuildings attached.

 
MAGHULL, a chapelry in the parish of HALSALL, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 5 miles (S.W. by S.) from Ormskirk, containing 720 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Halsall, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £600 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £2100 parliamentary grant. William Harpur, by deed in 1815, vested an annuity of £11.18.1.in certain trustees, for the education of children.
 
MELLING, a chapelry in the parish of HALSALL, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 6¼ miles (S.S.W.) from Ormskirk, containing 528 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £1400 parliamentary grant. The Earl of Lonsdale was patron in 1796. The chapel is dedicated to Holy Rood. A school was founded by the lords of Melling, with a residence for the master, about 1700, to which, in 1709, Edward Smith bequeathed the residue of his personal estate, and in 1712, John Tatlock gave £20; there are about twenty-five free scholars, and the master's income is £25 per annum.
 
SKELMERSDALE, a chapelry in the parish of ORMSKIRK, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 4 miles (E.S.E.) from Ormskirk, containing 622 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction,£600 royal bounty, and £1500 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Ormskirk. The chapel has lately received an addition of one hundred and forty sittings, of which seventy are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £90 towards defraying the expense. There is a small endowment, bequeathed by Evan Swift, in 1720, for a school. Skelmersdale gives the title of baron to the family of Bootle-Wilbraham.
 
SOUTHPORT, a chapelry in the parish of NORTH MEOLS, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 9 miles (N.W.) from Ormskirk, and 22 miles (N.) from Liverpool. The population is returned with the parish. This place, situated at the mouth of the Ribble, on the shore of the Irish sea, has of late years been much resorted to for sea-bathing, and possesses most of the usual accommodations for visitors: it consists of one principal street, formed by handsome houses of brick, with gardens in front, and is surrounded by meols, or sand hills, resembling small tumuli. A theatre, news-rooms, and libraries, with other places of public resort, supply the means of amusement and relaxation. An episcopal chapel, called Christ church, was built in 1820,the right of presentation to which belongs to Hesketh, Esq. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. The Stranger's charity furnishes to the sick poor the means of obtaining the benefits of sea air and bathing; and a dispensary, erected in 1823, supplies the requisite medical aid.
 
Album 4 Menu
1831 Map
Litherland & Ford Digital © Ronnie Cusworth 2002-2005