Litherland Local Board
of Health was established in 1863 as a result of the 1858 Local
Government Act. The initial eight members of the local board were
local business men and farmers. The local board remained in force
for 31 years and established the basic infrastructure of Litherland
of which the successor; Litherland Urban District Council created
in 1894 continued successfully in creating a well administered
district of Merseyside until dissolved in 1974.