Lander Road Primary School
Celebrated its Centenary in 2003
During the 'May Blitz' of 1941,
the school was heavily bombed with much damage, resulting in
the pupils being transferred to Beach Road School and many children
being evacuated to Wales with their teachers. The Wartime Auxilliary
Fire Service moved into Lander Road School after being bombed
out of their headquarters at the Bryant & May Matchworks
on Linacre Road during the same 'May Blitz'.
Evidence still survives of the presence of the Auxilliary Fire
Service at Lander Road School. On the school wall facing St
Elizabeth's Church, can be seen the words 'Fire Station' in
faded black lettering.