LITHERLAND AT WAR
1939-1945

Sgt William Thomas Betteridge
(Great War Veteran)
72nd (Crosby) Battalion, Home Guard
1940-1944

Photograph taken in Norman Road off Harris Drive
With Thanks to Barbara Smith daughter of William Betteridge
 
THE HOME GUARD
“Dad's Army”
The Home Guard was initiated in May 1940, initially being known as the 'Local Defence Volunteers' (LDV) and in true British humour was quickly dubbed 'Look Duck & Vanish'. The upper age limit of sixty-five was not strictly observed; the oldest member of the Home Guard was well into his eighties and had first seen action in the Egyptian campaign of 1884-85.

With the threat of a German invasion over, the Home Guard was stood down in December 1944. At its height, 1.75 million men, plus women auxilliaries in 1100 battalions served in the Home Guard throughout the United Kingdom. In recognition of their service, the Defence Medal was awarded for three years continous service in the Home Guard and the King's Medal was awarded to members of the Home Guard who had been discharged through injury from war service.
HOME GUARD RECRUITING POSTER
THE DEFENCE MEDAL 1939 -1945
THE KING'S MEDAL
“FOR LOYAL SERVICE”

Litherland & Ford Digital © Ronnie Cusworth 2002-2007