Road School opened in 1908 with the first Headmaster being Mr
Walter F. Thomkins tragically died (63) at the Royal Southern
Hospital, Fazakerley from injuries suffered outside of his house
at 19 Sefton Road, Litherland during the May Blitz 1941 whilst
on Fire Watching duty. He had been headmaster at Beach Road School
for 33 years and Corps Superintendent of the local St John's Ambulance
Brigade during the Second World war.
1917, the school was taken over by the military authorities,
becoming a military hospital. The school moved to the Wesleyan
Sunday School building on Linacre Road, returning to Beach Road
School in 1920. A public library opened in the school in 1928
eventually closing with the opening of the new libary on Linacre
Road in 1937.