Urban District Council made some efforts to obtain funding for
a ‘Carnegie’ library at the beginning of
the 20th century, but the proposals failed. The town, therefore,
had to wait until Lancashire County Council opened a Library Centre
at Beach Road School on 15th March 1928. Total book issues for
its first year were 70,610, despite the Centre being staffed only
by volunteers (headed by Alf Irwin) and being open only on Mondays
and Thursdays for just two hours per day. This success proved the
need for something more permanent.
Lancashire County Council built the present
library at a cost of £7,457. Councillor J. Alf Vincent, Chairman of the Council's
Library Committee, opened it on 30th October 1937. Its original
hours included 8 o’clock closing on five days, though children
were not allowed to use the library after 6.30pm.